Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What constitute(s) a valuable life?

Actually I just copy this sentence from some book reviews in Amazon.com.

What constitute(s) a valuable life?

I don't know...

But one thing I can share is the experience that I had when I interviewed a Canadian actor last year. He played in Chung Ying Theatre's "Tuesdays With Morrie" school tour version as Morrie. He played the role very well indeed, exactly the same image as what I have read from the book. I was so moved by his performance that I suddenly broke into big tears when I walked into the backstage and met him in person. Then he shared with me about the way he had researched and observed for the role he played, things he had improvised on stage...
Together, we walked out of the theatre, and he told me his story of being an actor: he originally worked in an investment bank for quite a few years. Then one day, he sat in front of the computer and asked himself "Why am I here?", "Is that what I want to do for the rest of my life?". From then on he quitted his job, went to theatrical school, and began his career as an actor.
I am not saying that being an investment banker is not a good thing (though i believe it maybe so in the midst of this global financial turmoil), but his action had really inspired me to re-consider what I should do with my life.

What constitute(s) a valuable life to you?

1 comment:

b said...

Hi Ada, please write a book, please ^!^ I've always wanted to read a book written by you.

Carmen